Sunday 22 January 2012

Tennis Update

Despite my marvellous day today (see post below), I should temper this with a small reality check, and detail my failings on the tennis. Rob the Builder and The Sultan will be pissing their pants (and can happily say "I told you so"), but I do have some losses.

First-off, my dutch of Murray, Nadal and Tsonga has not really worked out (so far), as their prices have hardly moved at all. This has been somewhat of a surprise to a novice like me, but does show me that, instead of backing these players and hoping for their prices to come in, I would have done better laying them all instead. Djokovic has come in slightly, but the other five behind him ( Federer, Murray, Nadal, Tsonga and Del Potro) have all remained largely static. This means I could have layed all of these players for virtually no risk in the first week, and then traded-out at that point for a scratched trade if they all happened to be still in the competition. If one of them had unexpectedly lost, then I could have traded-out for a profit. I'll try this on the next tournament.

For the moment, I will let Murray and Tsonga play their next matches and hope they can both make their way into the quarter finals. If they both manage this, then I will trade-out at that point regardless. Presently my dutch is showing a loss of £3. If either of them lose, then I will of course be looking at a red trade.

As for my other attempts, I had my 93p win at the start of the tournament, then lost £50 on a trade that I must have setup incorrectly because the second part of the trade did not trigger while I was asleep. Looking at the match and how it played-out, it should have triggered, but I don't know what went wrong there.

Then lastly, I tried to trade the game between Dolgopolov and Tomic, and made a couple of judgment errors to end up with a £3 loss. Beyond that I haven't really found the time to do anything else. Because I'm either working or trading the footy during the day, and because of the time differences, I haven't really attacked the tennis like I would have liked (I suspect it's only proper tennis traders that really have), but I hope to increase my efforts on this as the year goes on.

Tennis: -£52.70 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  -£52.70 

 

Tennis Showing 1 - 3 of 3 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Tennis / Dolgopolov v Tomic : Match Odds 20-Jan-12 08:00  20-Jan-12 12:00  -3.63
Tennis / Llodra v Bogomolov Jr : Match Odds 19-Jan-12 00:00  19-Jan-12 03:30  -50.00
Tennis / Azarenka v Watson : Match Odds 16-Jan-12 00:00  16-Jan-12 01:21  0.93

3 comments:

  1. Hey, I just wanted to comment on your thought of laying all favorites. If one of them unexpectedly loses, the odds on the others will come in as a result. And you'll be still pretty much looking at a scratch trade...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Anon

    You may be right, although I remember laying some of the field in a previous tournament when Nadal was knocked out early. This allowed me to green-up with a nice profit.

    I think the others would undoubtedly come in (as you point out), but I also think some of the outsiders come in also.

    Anyway, as I mention, I'm cabbage-like when it comes to tennis, so I won't argue the point very hard as you may well be right. I'll probably give it a go nevertheless and see how it goes.

    Thanks for commenting though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never take any pleasure from others' losses, honest!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.