Saturday 11 February 2012

Men Can't Multi-Task

Okay, my post heading is a sweeping statement which you may feel outraged by... so I'll change it to something more pertinent: I can't multi-task. There. That's better.

The unsustainably hectic nature of my life has continued unabated this week. Consequently I haven't had a great deal of time for my beloved footy - and the little I have had has been successfully kiboshed by my inability to know my arse from my elbow.

I think it was on Wednesday that I suggested Sunderland could be decent value at 3.70, as their home form was excellent and Arsenal had an up-and-coming Champions League match against AC Milan on Wednesday. A pre-match trade may be in order, I boldly suggested.

Thinking back, at that point I should have backed the draw with the hope that it would come in during the week, but instead I threw £500 onto Sunderland and then left it that. My intention was to look for their odds to come in right up to the last half-an-hour before kick-off, and then trade-out regardless. I should point out here up front that I don't believe the odds really moved at all in my favour, but at this point this was okay.

I was out this morning, but managed to get back in about ten minutes after the Man Utd v Liverpool game had started. Consequently, I missed the now infamous "swerve" of the handshake by Suarez, but did catch it on sky sports later. To my mind, Suarez must be something of a tosser to want to continue with all this. Either he's a thick as cow shit or he's knowingly decided to perpetuate the sorry saga for his own strange reasons. Personally, I'd guess at the former. Anyway, I managed to get a decent amount out of the game before having to bolt out of the house again.

I came back in about 3:30pm, and felt a bit disappointed that I hadn't had time to set up my bot for any of today's matches - but then suddenly remembered my, ahem, pre-match trade on Sunderland. Aaaaah, great big hairy testicles!

I jumped onto the PC and saw that thankfully Arsenal hasn't scored in the meantime. I traded-out immediately because, even though I thought Sunderland were in with a shout, I don't make straight bets, and certainly not for £500. Well, this immediately wiped-out the profit I'd made on the Man Utd game, which was a right royal pisser and incontrovertible proof that I'm no good at multi-tasking. More than one thing on my mind then I turn into a basket case. For those of you who are computer-minded, my brain is like a processor register, with only one value able to be stored in it at any one time.

Also a little bit galling was the fact that Sunderland took the lead in the 70th minute. If I'd been late enough getting back in, then I would have had a five minute window before Arsenal equalised where I could have greened-up for approximately £400. Ho-hum.

Anyway, all was not lost. My beautiful Spurs were playing in the evening, and I decided to trade that. Of course Spurs started like an absolute runaway train, which was fantastic to see, but made things a little difficult to trade on. In a normal frame of mind, I would have just closed my lappy and watched the match as a fan, but for some reason, I had some misplaced confidence in myself and carried-on regardless.

I hate these moments, where I have a quick conversation with myself, and almost say out loud the words, "Hmm, I should stop trading this game. It's too lively". This is the sensible part of my brain, but I'm not quite sure why I didn't pay any attention. So off I went, 3.5 goals, 4.5 goals and... SPLAT! Nice hefty loss. I did manage to claw a small part of it back on the 5.5 goals, but seeing how well Spurs played, it was somewhat spoiled by my poor decision-making on the game.

In the final analysis, I realise that I've just had too much going on at present, and I should have just shrugged my shoulders, accepted that trading was not really on the menu and then left it there. Trying to squeeze in bits and pieces here-and-there just doesn't work for me.

And as we've seen, I'm certainly no multi-tasker.


Football: -£52.48 | Tote: |  Total P&L:  -£52.48 

 

Football Showing 1 - 10 of 10 markets

Market Start time Settled date Profit/loss (£)
Football / Tottenham v Newcastle : Over/Under 5.5 Goals 11-Feb-12 17:30  11-Feb-12 19:26  57.17
Football / Blackpool v Portsmouth : Over/Under 2.5 goals 11-Feb-12 17:20  11-Feb-12 19:12  1.95
Football / Tottenham v Newcastle : Over/Under 4.5 Goals 11-Feb-12 17:30  11-Feb-12 18:55  -135.84
Football / Tottenham v Newcastle : Over/Under 3.5 Goals 11-Feb-12 17:30  11-Feb-12 18:05  13.24
Football / Sunderland v Arsenal : Match Odds 11-Feb-12 15:00  11-Feb-12 16:55  -88.54
Football / Dortmund v Leverkusen : Correct Score 11-Feb-12 14:30  11-Feb-12 16:22  23.80
Football / Man Utd v Liverpool : Correct Score 11-Feb-12 12:45  11-Feb-12 14:39  45.54
Football / Man Utd v Liverpool : Over/Under 3.5 Goals 11-Feb-12 12:45  11-Feb-12 14:38  4.67
Football / Man Utd v Liverpool : Over/Under 2.5 goals 11-Feb-12 12:45  11-Feb-12 14:25  17.17
Football / Man Utd v Liverpool : Over/Under 1.5 Goals 11-Feb-12 12:45  11-Feb-12 13:53  8.36


Incidentally, someone has asked me about compiling match odds. This is perhaps a rather well-worn subject so I'm a little reluctant to embark upon it, but if there is enough interest, then I may do a post on this subject. This would include a variety of ways - some better than others - on how to generate match odds.

I'll await of bit of feedback before I decide either way.

4 comments:

  1. Don't ask silly questions, Eddie, of course there's plenty of interest! I am speaking for the silent majority of course :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would definately be an interesting post to read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the response guys. First part now up and running. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.